Welcome back to my blog. I would firstly like to say that the reason this post is so late is due to the animosity universities in my country are experiencing at the moment. Fees must fall has been a whirlwind of events and has caused academic programs to be thrown out. I have been working on assignments and preparing for exams at home and will be starting my Halloween YouTube series tomorrow. The weather has been nothing but dreary here in Cape Town and because I work with natural lighting, it’s hard for me to film.
–BACK TO THE BLOG POST–
I was approached by RubyBox to review the John Frieda In Shower Lightening Treatment in Brunette. You can find their website here.
Rubybox is an online community in which members are sent products to try out and review in exchange for their honest opinion. I love that the community is open and honest and just willing to help in terms of reviewing products. I wanted to record a video review, however, since I didn’t film my process I thought it wouldn’t be the best video to film.
In the box, you have a double sided tube with a cap which you need to break off. The one side of the tube contains the conditioner and the other side contains the dye. Both of these need to be squeezed out at the same time.
Photo Credit: ulta.com
A few things that I want to touch on is that this product should be used in conjunction with the John Frieda Shampoo and Conditioner for optimum results. I was only sent the treatment so my results are not similar to the results you will get if you use the shampoo and conditioner. The whole range can be pictured below which includes:
- Brilliant Brunette Visibly Deeper Colour Deepening Shampoo, Conditioner, Treatment
- Brilliant Brunette Visibly Brighter Lightening Shampoo, Conditioner, Treatment
- Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Lightening Shampoo, Conditioner and Treatment
Photo Credit: beautystat.com
The box recommends leaving the treatment in for about 5 minutes, I left mine in for 15 for optimum results as I felt that 5 minutes would not be enough for me. I then washed out the product and continued to shampoo and condition as normal.
THE FINISHED PRODUCT:
After blowdrying and flat ironing my hair, I noticed a visible brown-ish tinge to my hair. I did not go brown as that would mean I’d have to life relatively dark hair to light brown. This is what I ended up looking like, this is from my Snapchat so you can scan my code below to add me!
Overall, had I had to rate this product out of 10, I’d give it a 7 and here are my reasons why:
- The smell of the dye was way too strong for me. After sitting with the product, I had the worst headache because my nose is very sensitive to smell. This put me off and I know the smell of dye is very hard to mask so I can’t fault the product for that but other dyes didn’t come close to the smell of this one.
- My hair isn’t that brunette. I could only notice the difference in my hair when in good lighting. I would only recommend this for people with light tone in their hair, not for darker hair colours.
- The tube is very small. Maybe this is to blame for me not seeing a visible difference but my hair is quite long and the bottle doesn’t have a ton of product in the bottle.
This product can be purchased at Clicks and the range varies in price from R100 to R199.
I am giving away 1 Sheer Blonde Lightening Treatment and 1 Visibly Brighter Brunette treatment to 2 lucky winners!
I would love for either bloggers or my readers to try this out and let me know what you thought the results were.
- Must be following my Instagram: sincerelydeeanne as well as RubyBox: rubyboxbeauty
- Tag 2 of your friends in the comment section of the giveaway. Don’t have 2 friends? Tag me (:
- For an extra entry, you must be subscribed to my YouTube channel which you can find here
- For an extra entry without subscribing to my YouTube channel, repost the picture to your own Instagram.
- You may enter as many times as you’d like.
This giveaway is open internationally and closes on the 30th of October. Must be 18 years or older or have parents permission.